Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Personal Review


In Cold Blood is one of the most interesting murder novels that I have ever read.  The way Truman Capote chose to structure the book was intriguing to me and was one of my favorite aspects of the novel overall.  I liked the way the book was divided into four sections, each detailing a different part of the story from the day of the murder up to the deaths of the criminals.  The unique syntax utilized throughout the novel also caught my attention.  The variety in sentence structure definitely was composed well by the author to mirror the different tones and situations that developed over the course of the plot.  I believe that the title was chosen well for the subject matter of this book as well.  When you kill someone in cold blood it means that you do it in a way that is cruel because you plan it out and commit it without emotion – this describes the actions of Dick and Perry perfectly because they killed the four members of the Clutter family without motive and felt “no regret” afterward.
The book begins somewhat mysteriously because the author does not explicitly state that Dick and Perry are or will be the killers.  However, clues within Capote’s writing and tone allowed me to figure out that the two men were involved.  Also, every chapter shifted point of views.  I liked this unique aspect of the novel as well.  The reason I found this interesting is because, as the reader, it gave me the opportunity to see the mindset of both killers, members of the Clutter family (before they died), and the detectives who were determined to find a resolution to the motiveless crime.  This allows the reader to gain a better understanding of the character and personality of all the people involved. 
After the murders were addressed in the beginning of the novel, the author, also, purposely left out the motive.  This was effective because it kept me guessing as to why the killers drove from far away to kill an innocent family and then flee to Mexico.  But by the end of the novel when the detectives were able to obtain confessions from the killers, I was surprised to learn that Perry was the one who had committed all four murders.  During the course of the novel, Perry, at first, doubted their ability to carry out with the crime and he seemed to be characterized as more of a follower, with Dick as the leader.
However, I disliked the way the novel included long letters from family members and friends of Dick and Perry.  Although the letters helped provide information regarding the characters’ past, some of them were too long, at least for me, and seemed to make the book go off on tangents.  I believe some of the letters were not necessary to include in the novel because they did not affect the outcome or conclusion of the case.
Altogether, this piece of literature is definitely one that has made an impression on me.  With the combination of the unique syntax and the cleverly composed story line, I believe that In Cold Blood is a great example of an interesting documentary.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the particular structure of the book is what made the book an interesting book to read. I feel that by having it structured that way then it causes for the book to become unique and stand out from the other ordinary mystery novels that just state who the murders and victims are at the end. I also agree with you about the syntax and how well written it was. I was also fond of all the imagery that was used to set the scene of a particular situation and allowed for the reader to have a clear picture of what is going on in that part of the story. All in all, I feel that you made a great review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like,Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis,Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete